What’s the catch right? That heading sounds like a scam for sure. Don’t worry, it’s not a scam. It’s a party hosted by you!
Host an Eco-Friendly Clothing Swap
This is seriously the BEST girl’s night. It’s eco-friendly, fun, free, and will de-clutter your life. It’s also a party with a purpose so it’s perfect for getting new friends from different walks of life together. So raid each other’s closets, treat yourselves to some new style, and have a blast.
Here’s how it works:
It’s simple. Everyone brings items they want to swap. We all have dresses that fit us just a little awkwardly, or shoes and jewelry that we’re never going to wear, or makeup colors we decided weren’t for us. Everyone brings (reusable ;)) bags filled with their unwanted items and you swap! Something you’re not crazy about may be exactly what your friend is looking for. As they say: one person’s trash is another person’s treasure.
A few tips for your eco-friendly swap party:
- Plan this party several weeks out so people have time to clean out their closets and set aside their goods.
- When guests arrive, have them lay out their items to display. Setting them up by size and/or style usually works well
- You can be organized about it if you want… for each item you bring you get a ticket with your name that goes in a jar, then names are drawn one by one. As guest’s names are called they get to pick an item, and it rotates. Or just do a free for all! Whatever you’re into.
- Have a bedroom or bathroom set up for trying things on and have a full length mirror available.
- Have it pot-luck style in the spirit of sharing!
- At the end of the party, give guests the option of taking their unwanted clothing home with them or leaving it to be donated.
- Donate the leftovers to The Salvation Army, Goodwill, Big Brother Big Sister, or search the web for local donation centers in your area.
- Remember to be green! Avoid unnecessary decorations like streamers and balloons. Opt for real glasses and plates if possible. If choosing disposables choose recycled options.
- Green the theme – create a poster to highlight some of the companies that are doing their part to offer sustainable fashion choices
Did you host a swap party? How did you make it a success? We would love to see your pictures! Shoot us an e-mail on our Contact page or share your party pics on Facebook!